Getting children to do their homework is a daily battle for most parents. But not many parents realize that one of the prime reasons for their child’s inattentiveness and distraction, is because they are forced to work in places that they are not comfortable working from. Just like for us adults, children too have some requirements from their homework station. And if you are able to figure this out, you’ll not only be able to get your children to do their homework without a fuss, you’ll also be helping them shape their future better. If you want to create the perfect homework station for your child, then here are our tips and suggestions for you.
- Select the tables and chairs with care – this is perhaps the most important thing to remember when creating a work station for anyone. Select the table to suit your child’s height, but remember that they grow. Make use of a foldable table (in the case of a small room), and a height adjustable chair. You can buy small folding tables for sale; but take you child along when trying out chairs.
- Make sure there’s plenty of lighting – regardless to our age, most of us prefer working in places that have plenty of natural light. Perhaps it’s a human thing. Try and set up your child’s homework station in a place that gets plenty of sunlight. If this is not possible, make sure that they still get plenty if light. This not only helps them be more efficient in their work, but it will also help their eyesight in the long run.
- Make sure all the supplies are nearby – having to get up often, just to grab whatever supply they need to do their homework is an unfortunately fabulous way to distract your little one from his homework. To avoid this, keep all the necessary supplies nearby; at the desk if possible. Something like a home organization store online can make your dreams come true.
NOTE: apart from keeping the supplies close by, it’s also a smart idea to keep them portable. Just in case your child wishes to work from elsewhere.
- Remember that electronics play a part – whether we approve of it or not, electronics have begun to play a large part in our children’s lives—including their homework. Remember to make arrangements for these electronics at the homework station too.
- Don’t forget the unwanted – a waste basket is an essential part of any work station; but especially in a homework station of a child. Help your child keep his work area clean by including a fun waste basket. This will inevitably reduce your clean up time as well…!